Monday, January 21, 2008 | posted by Thomas Carlyle

I wish I was able to use the Subjunctive Clause correctly

In case you did not notice from my garb, I am about thirty minutes away from walking roughly three miles to go and hack at parasitic plants. Sometimes, the only way to save nature from itself is in the middle of winter with a machete.

Last night was kind of Movie Explosion time. The Fountain was on, which is a great movie if you want to see Hugh Jackman become golden space pajama buddha after exploding into flowers (seriously) and experiencing some kind of floral apotheosis/painful death, as was The Squid and the Whale, which while lacking in golden space pajamas, manages to be kind of endearing and twee and maybe a little disturbing (and produced by Wes Anderson, may angels attend his every whim). There was also assorted other trash - sadly, none of Viggo Mortenson's cinematic triumph American Yakuza, but I suppose I shall just have to remain deprived.

The real undercurrent I felt, though, was that more often than not, these films all have a strong musical influence. I am totally being the first person to think that music is a common thread in the way that humanity entertains itself. I know, right! Maybe it's just because I saw Juno like 72 hours ago and the residual tweenessocity of the film is making me think that freak-folk is the next step in human evolution (Yeah, in 2002 it is!) and then I start thinking to myself HEY MAYBE YOU SHOULD EAT A MEAL TODAY. And then I start thinking about how I gained eight pounds in the past three days, and that fat people don't deserve to eat. And that's what happens when I stay awake until 4 am watching the best films of three years ago!

Continuing onward, ever onward, with our theme of Scary Mistruths (a week which is gratefully almost over), I share with you something quick. Once when I was a freshman in college (I think I still had a ponytail back then - ugh) I was going on a walk through town. I didn't really have many friends back then, and so I alienated myself a lot. Anyway, it was night, early fall, I was bored, and basically just enjoying the walk through a small town, seeing shadows that the lamp posts cast through the trees. I was perhaps watching my own shadow too intently, because I noticed that it moved when I didn't. At first I thought it was a fluke (as is my way) when the shadow of my left arm appeared to reach up, despite the material fact of my arm remaining calmly in my pocket. When the shadow of my left arm spasmed a second time, waving wildly before matching up again with it's physical brother, I realized that maybe it was time to turn back. I avoided the street lights all the way home.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home