Thursday, July 12, 2007 | posted by James Thomas à Becket

Transit: Planes Mistaken For Stars

A band whom I'm quite fond of (I own all of their CDs released in America), Planes Mistaken For Stars recently broke up. The label they were previously an artist on folded back into its parent label, and while a couple groups survived, so I hear, most of the other ones are left in limbo. It was probably this and a combination of other factors that led to the group disintegrating.

They are transitioning as well. The singer now has two kids and is starting a new band with the drummer (Gared and Neil, respectively, both the only original members left), and the other guitarrists are starting their own group.

Of course, this doesn't exactly soften the blow. Describing Planes' sound precisely really is a challenge. In the beginning (1997), they started out as an screamo group on Deep Elm Records, an old guard emo label known for groups like the Appleseed Cast, Brandston and Cross My Heart. As you may have heard, this was back when emo did not mean putting on your sister's jeans and raiding her makeup cabinet. Their final full length, Mercy, was one of my favorites of last year owing to it's aglamartion of metal volume, manic tempos and emotional voalitility.

They played with many groups from all ends of the punk and metal spectrum, finishing tours and crossing oceans with Converge, Small Brown Bike, Dillinger Escape Plan, Hot Water Music, Mastodon, Cursive, and most famously, Against Me!. Planes was a group not quickly pigeonholed or quickly grasped. This, is of course, why their headlining shows I saw never had more than 100 pepole there.

Listening to Planes' music ran a gamut of moods for me. I've cried, made out, headbutted mirrors and most other emotions in between while listening to that group, so to say that I'm saddened that I won't ever have a new Planes Mistaken For Stars CD to look forward to wherever my life takes me is an understatement.

In my life there is plenty of transit so on one level, my roads parallel theirs. I suppose I naively hoped that Gared's and Neil's musical trails would stay with Planes Mistaken For Stars for longer, but I know so long as I have an internet connection and their new project has a MySpace page, I can follow where that aircraft touched down...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home